Our tagline is 1. READ 2. RECORD 3. COLLECT!
Starting March 1st, children record the total minutes read outside of school each day on the Reading Log sent home until the end of March.
Students bring their Reading Logs to school on Monday of each week so that minutes are included in the friendly classroom challenge totals. Logs are returned that day.
Special prizes are awarded to Mountain Lion Readers – Mountain Lion Readers in K-2 read over 450 minutes total; in Grades 3-4, that recognition happens at 600 minutes; in Grades 5-6 the goal is 900 minutes. That’s about 15 minutes per day for the younger students, 20 minutes per day for older students, and 30 minutes per day for the oldest students.
On March 30th, children should begin collecting sponsor money. All money should go to your child’s classroom teacher and is due by April 2nd. Checks should be made payable to ‘Monkton PTO.’
2. What if we can’t afford to sponsor our child and we don’t know anyone who can?
Some wonderful people will volunteer to sponsor kids who may have a hard time finding sponsors. If your child needs help finding a sponsor, he or she should speak to Holly Esterline in the library or to their classroom teacher. Every child can participate! Sponsors can join in any time from now until the end of March. This is not a door-to-door fundraiser.
3. Can I download copies of the Reading Log & other Read-a-thon forms or letters?
Yes! All forms and letters will be available for view, download, and/or printing on the Monkton PTO website or at the "Forms" tab on this blog. We will send hard copies home, but of course things can be lost or misplaced, so we hope this is a helpful resource.
4. Where does the money go?
5. What are the prizes?
* The first time students turn in their log sheets, they will receive a bookmark for a free ice cream at Ben & Jerry’s
* Mountain Lion Readers – students meeting their individual goal (K-2 of 450 minutes; 3-4 of 600 minutes; 5-6 of 900 minutes) will receive a chance to vote on which teacher or staff who will do something "out-of-this-world!" (More details to come!)
* The top reader from each grade will receive a $10 gift certificate for Flying PigBookstore in Shelburne, VT
* The top participation classroom will receive an ice cream party.
* Raffle drawings for logs and pledge money turned in on time (April 2nd) will be entered into a drawing to win wonderful prizes!